Last year I got into another argument with my girlfriend about Rush, and more specifically Geddy Lee, the lead singer. She thinks he’s the worst singer ever, and that RUSH would sound ten times better with a singer that (and I quote) “Doesn’t sound like a woman who fell down a well, while trying to hold a pee in standing in two feet of rancid water”. Harsh words, I know. I set out to defend RUSH and Geddy Lee, cause I love the bands music and think that there is no way the band would be as good or as RUSH, without Geddy. Also he has a cool name.
So on an episode of the SLTM podcast, I made a list of 25 singers worse than Geddy Lee. I announced the full list on Episode 129. Here is the list for you to comb over and ultimately agree with. I mean, Geddy Lee rules, we all know that and now so does my girlfriend.
TWENTY FIVE WORSE SINGERS THAN GEDDY LEE (In no particular order):
1. Vince Neil- Motley Crue – Over processed and weak. Ten times worse than Geddy.
2. Stephen Percy – Ratt- Same Same. Fifteen times worse than Geddy.
3. Kevin Dubrow- Quiet Riot – Rest his soul. Not a strong singer and kind of a dick.
4. Dexter Holland- Offspring – Like the guy, but that voice ruins some good songs.
5. Tom Keifer – Cinderella- Okay when he sings like a normal person. Screetches a lot.
6. 1985 Chicago Bears- Super Bowl Shuffle? horrible and it berthed another turd.
7. Biz Markie- Love the guys music but I think he was intentionally out of tune.
8. John Mellencamp- Not a strong singer. A little thin,& sometimes there’s no passion.
9. Gwen Stefani – No Doubt- that baby girl voice she does early on is grating.
10. Noel Gallagher- Seems like he’s doing the demo version when he sings.
11. Paul Stanley- Like Kiss. Stanley is a weak singer, but fits great with Kiss.
12. Lou Reed- Not really a singe per se. More a mouth talker. Still bad.
13. Scott Stapp- Creed- Just awful. Plus he sang shitty lyrics. really bad.
14. Chad Kroeger- Nickelback- Another one who is just awful with bad lyrics. No more!
15. Cher- Not a strong singer, you can tell they process the hell out of that voice.
16. Janie Lane- Warrant- Rest his soul. Not a bad singer, just not better than Geddy.
17. Conway Twitty- A pick from my son Tyler. Solid Old Country singer.
18. All three Bee Gees- Maybe they write a nice song, but sound like old ladies.
19. Claudio Sanchez- Coheed&Cambria- Another Tyler pick. I agree whole heartedly.
20. Sonny Bono- He had to let Cher carry the weight on duets he was that weak a singer.
21. David Coverdale- Tony MF choice. I like DC. He can be a little over the top though.
22. Dude from Trickster- Another Tony MF choice. Good Choice.
23. Dude from Firehouse- Yep Tony MF again. I agree. overally schmaltzy too.
24.Tiny Tim- I think he was doing it on purpose. Still worse than Geddy
25. Geoff Tate- Queensryche- Tony MF and My dual choice. A bit over blown voice.
There you have it. Agree, disagree or agree 100%, we appreciate you reading it. Leave any comments about who you think should be on the list and I’ll shove it in my girlfriends face and say “SEE YOU’RE STILL WRONG”.
*Point of clarification: we are not saying that all of these singers are totally horrible and should be punched in the voice box. We’re just saying they are worse or a lot worse than Geddy Lee, who we all know RULES!